Friday 2 January 2015

Altered Calendar - January

Hi Everyone,

Today I want to share an altered calendar page with you. This is a challenge organised by Darcy Wilkinson - each month a calendar is altered using two prompts from Darcy, one a technique and one an addition but part of the original calendar design must still be visible. You can find out more about the challenge over on Darcy's blog HERE.

So here is my calendar it's all about Buddah, here is how the January page looked originally:

I started by adding gesso to the whole picture except for circle behind the Buddah head, once dry I added a layer of Paperartsy Fresco paint in Mushroom and Toffee:

 

Then despite my good intentions I didn't take any more photos during the process at all until I was finished! Oops!

So here is the finished page:

 

Over the Mushroom/Toffee layer I added a layer of Crackle Glaze then once dry went over the whole page with Smoked Paprika. I thought this would look good as it matches the bottom half of the calendar - wrong! It was just far too overbearing! So then I went in with the other colours: Haystack, Orchid, Turquoise and Chalk but still left a bit of the Smoked Paprika showing.

I painted a scrap of card with Vintage Lace and stamped the main image from Paperartsy Lynne Perella LPC028 and I also stamped the houses a few times onto old book pages from the same stamp set.

I coloured the face with Neocolor crayons, cut her out and used a bit of Walnut stain DI onto her.

I added some splatters to my spread using watered down Little Black Dress and Chalk before adding the face image and the houses along the bottom.

I added some doodling around the circle image that exists from the original calendar page and then decided to add a few bits of book page that I had left as well and rubbed most of the paper back off again to just leave some text showing here and there.

And here's just a few close ups so you can see the crackle:

 

 

Darcy has already posted the criteria for the February page in case anyone wants to get ahead.

Thanks for stopping by today,

Claire x

 

 

15 comments:

  1. That's brilliant Claire, great idea to combine the pic with PA images. Love the background colours. Very free, like you said. Really love it! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh that is awesome Claire, such fantastic colours love everything about your calendar page. What a fantastic start to the Challenge :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool Claire, love all the bright zingy colours and the Lynne Perrella image is perfect for inside the original circle.. Great little book houses too, thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these Lynne Perrella images framed by the original image. The white accents really frame it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you changed the original image...lots of imagination! Way to start a challenge. Happy New Year, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Claire, fabulous, love your use of the LP stamps and fab colours xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous project. Love the way you have used the original image, very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so Far I wish I had everyone else's calendars they are so beautiful, and I love how you did this challenge, it's great ^5

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab transformation, I love the background colours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great change, love how you did that, beautiful colours xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome alteration Claire! :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Yes! Fabulous, with all those glorious colours and a the LP image - and absolute joy! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is brilliant, so imaginative!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! It's so different. Love the colours and crackle!

    ReplyDelete